Flying Sex Workers
Goal of the Project:
To improve the Sexual Health status of the Flying Sex Workers of Siliguri Subdivision by reducing the incidence of STD & HIV/ AIDS.
Objective of the Project:
1) To increase the Knowledge score on STD/HIV/AIDS.
2) To reduce the incidence of STD prevalence by providing Proper STD management.
3) To increase the consistent and correct condom use.
4) To create an enabling environment through proper Advocacy & Networking.
The Key activities of the project are:
a) Behavior Change Communication (BCC)
b) STD Management
c) Condom Promotion
d) Creating Enabling Environment
e) Monitoring & Evaluation
Behaviour changes Communication:
Awareness Generation through:
· Video show
· IEC distribution
· One to one communication
· One to group communication
· Drama performance
· Staff awareness (fare fests)
· Quiz contest
· Observance of World AIDS Day
· Peer Education
· Focus Group Discussion
· Group Education Session
STDs Management Through STD Clinic:
· Identification of suspected STD cases and referral to STD Clinic
· STD Clinic set-up with treatment of STD cases with free medicines
· Follow Up the patients
· Counseling of the patients
· Partners’ counselling
· Free Distribution of Condom
· Condom Demonstration
· Development of Condom outlet in or near the target area
· Group discussion
· Focus group discussion
· Small advocacy (at lower level)
· Large advocacy (at higher level)
· Sensitization of CKIs
· Sensitization of stakeholders
Project at a Glance:
Target Group : Flying Sex Workers & Brothel
Target Group Population : 500
Areas of Intervention : Subdivision
No. of Clinics : Two
Clinic Location : 1) Khalpara DIC office
2) Kamala Medical Hall, Check post, Siliguri.
The key objective of the project is to provide universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support. Realizing that flying prostitution is on the rise in the city, the government, involving the NGOs, has rolled out a comprehensive package for healthcare and counseling of the sex workers. A number of community-based organizations and NGOs in West Bengal are carrying out “targeted intervention” among flying commercial sex workers. The initiative is funded by National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) and implemented by the West Bengal State AIDS Prevention and Control Society.
The organisation has the sustainability strategy to its own development and here also take some new strategy with the community members along with Peers and office staff to make a small scale Restaurant so that we can serve the HRGs (High Risk Groups) from its profit specially those who are aged. By this we can help our Project also in crisis situation. We have formed a committee for that and four meetings have already been done in this regard.